The ICAS Book Prize (IBP) has been established by the International Convention of Asia Scholars in 2004. It aims to create an international focus for publications on Asia while increasing their worldwide visibility. The biennial ICAS Book Prize is awarded for outstanding English-language works in the field of Asian Studies. Also prizes will be awarded to the best dissertation in the Humanities and the Social Sciences. In 2007 the Colleagues Choice Award was established following numerous requests to give the academic community the opportunity to voice their choice.
The five Awards are:
- Best study in the Humanities
- Best study in the Social Sciences
- Best dissertation in the Humanities
- Best dissertation in the Social Sciences
- The Colleagues' Choice Award.
In the past 10 years the ICAS Book Prize has grown from an experiment with 50 books and 5 dissertations submitted to an established prize with 250 publications of 60 publishers worldwide and 100 dissertations competing. Therefore we have added a new category since 2013: The Reading Committee Accolades. This gives the Reading Committees the opportunity to single out more books and dissertations than just the winners.
The Reading Committee Accolades are:
- Publishers Accolade for outstanding production values
- Most accessible and captivating work for the non-specialist reader Accolade
- Specialist publication Accolade
- Teaching tool Accolade
- Ground-breaking subject matter Accolade
- Edited volume Accolade
- Best Art book
For more information on the IBP 2015 Winners and Accolades, please click here.